Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Wild Hibiscus Flowers

www.bloomsagardenshop.com. I have been so very lucky to do what I do.  One of the benefits that no one can put a value on is the friendships that I have made through my work at Mississippi Children's Home Services. Last night, I attended a meeting in Hattiesburg, MS, in the serene Depot Coffee House and Bistro.  Our Vines of the World Chair, Adrienne, and her mother run a beautiful adjacent store, Blooms, where they do flower arrangements (incredibly artistic and beautiful!), sell Mississippi artworks, and unusual specialty items such as the Wild Hibiscus Flower in syrup.
I was so taken with the concept of Americans or Westerners using Hibiscus Flowers that I had to explore it further.  I bought a large jar of the traditional in normal syrup for Tom-Tom so that he can experiment with these and savory recipes. (I think he really loves me for this gift!)  I bought a small jar of the flowers in rose syrup because this reminds me so much of living in West Africa in The Gambia.

Tonight, the beautiful thing that I experienced is a simple cocktail that we threw together, the Wild Hibiscus Rose Martini.  Into a cocktail shaker, combine:
  • 1 jigger of vodka
  • a few drops of vermouth
  • a few drops of the rose syrup from the Hibiscus Flower jar
  • a couple of cubes of ice
  • Shake vigorously
Place one of the preserved Hibiscus Flowers in the bottom of the martini glass and pour the shaken and chilled mixture over the flower.  For best flavor and most visual impact, set poured glassed in the fridge for a few minutes so that the vodka will permeate the flower.  Serve.

This makes an incredibly romantic and beautiful cocktail that is made of the most delicate but strong flower (hibiscus) and the most fragrant and beautiful symbol of love (rose). 
One will do you!

I am so very grateful for being able to be a part of this extended Mississippi family.

No comments:

Post a Comment