Thursday, July 1, 2010

Magic in the Sky

It's that time of the year again. When the evenings begin getting warm and humid, nature pulls out her perennial summer night lights and casts them into the shadowy spots under trees and the low misty spots in fields. Her fireflies dance and whirl to what must be secret fairy songs and inspire children to laughter. When I was a child, my grandmother showed me the toad stools that popped up after a summer shower where she said the fairies had sheltered from the storm. She told me to watch in the evening so that I could catch sight of the fairies flying and playing chase with the fireflies. Every time I see a firefly now, I think of my grandmother's voice in my ear and the joy that I'd feel bubbling in my chest when I spied that first firefly of the evening.
This is the time of year when we celebrate our nation's independence by imitating the sounds of battle but add delicate pictures drawn in light across the skies to convey that this is a demonstration of peace.  This is the time of year that my husband nearly trembles with delight.  I've always remembered that when we first started dating he told me that he LOVED warm Sake and that he LOVED fireworks. He said that he didn't know what he'd do if he ever enjoyed the two together. That first summer that we dated, I surprised him with Sake at the 4th of July fireworks.  He's never forgotten it.

Tonight, we will pack up some of our children and head to the Old Capitol Green where we will spread a blanket and a feast and settle down to visit with friends, both old and new. We will laugh, swat mosquitoes, and enjoy the evening. When the fireworks begin, I know that I will look over and watch the skies reflected in the delight of my husband's face as he returns to the wonder of his childhood.  

I know that I will be holding my son, Zak, tightly.  This is my baby who is just beginning to test some independence and won't let me hold him close for many more years.  I know that I'll be so fulfilled sharing this evening with my daughter who in entering adulthood has just returned safely from abroad. I know that I will feel that warmth and satisfaction that my grandmother must have felt at sharing something beautiful with me.

The chance to witness transportation to another time or place in the face of people you love is a beautiful thing.

1 comment: